COP 24 negotiations culminated in the 2018 “Paris Rulebook” (“Rulebook”) but fell short of resolving all issues implementing the 2015 Paris Agreement (“Agreement”). In 2019 and subsequent years, we expect dynamic debates between negotiators on at least five key issues:
- How to implement voluntary market mechanisms under Article 6 of the Agreement,
- How to increase collective ambition through each country’s voluntary pledges,
- How to recognize the IPCC 1.5◦C Report’s scientific findings,
- Setting a new climate financing goal for developed nations to meet, and
- Continuing discussions on “loss and damage” issues for vulnerable nations.